Re: RFC: Debian Service Team

> And I think that's our main difference: you (Dale) think (at least that's
> what I read from your mails in this thread) that once 1.3 is out there
> should not be much changes to it, just major security fixes, but no minor
> bug fixes. But I still think it would be good to have a few minor bug
> fixes included in 1.3.x too.
>
> So, what do the others think about it?

I can go for the idea of maintaining a stable release.  I normally try to live
with a `stable' based system, and only upgrade the packages that are giving me
(and/or my clients) grief, so if we could get those packages into the stable
system in a controlled way, that would suit me perfectly.

I'm quite happy to be part of an ongoing effort to test point releases, with
packages being let in to fix general bugs.

On a related subject, I've been thinking about ways of making testing easier
and more reliable, and one thing we could do would be to have some regression
tests that can be run on an installed system.

When bugs are reported, we should encourage people to write a test to show
they've fixed it (where practical) and add that to the current set of tests
when the fix is allowed into the next frozen pointy release.

Over time, we should end up with a set of tests that diagnose all the problems
that have shown up so far, so that anyone can install the test-pack, and prove
they have a vaguely functional Unix system.

This should allow us to develop a much better level of confidence about the
reliability of new releases, because we could get people to run the test pack
after doing an install on a variety of hardware.

Cheers, Phil.