Re: Our social contract with the free-software community

> bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:
>
> > 2. The license may not restrict any party from selling or giving
> >    away the software, nor may it require a royalty or license fee.
>
> This part is scaring away some people, for instance, the developer of
> XSqlmenu that has been the subject of the recent Copyright thread in
> debian-devel.  I see no problem with somebody saying that it cannot be
> sold save for reasonable copying fees (media, labor, etc.).  This
> would be solely to ensure that it remains in the free software
> community, I would think....

I agree.  Nobody's going to be taking a Debian CD, and selling it as a
proprietary product for $1000 a copy.  So those sorts of licenses don't
really restrict us much at all.  And I don't think they restrict
"value-added" distributions that are based on Debian.  Again, I don't
think we should be favoring license restrictions, but we do have to
show some flexibility.

Cheers,

 - Jim