Re: Our social contract with the free-software community

On 5 Jun 1997, John Goerzen wrote:

> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
>
> > >From perl's copyright:
> >
> >     This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> >     it under the terms of either:
> >
> >         a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
> >         Software Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any
> >         later version, or
> >
> >         b) the "Artistic License" which comes with this Kit.
> >
> > so we have the option of distributing it under the GNU GPL --- no problem.
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.  However, there are a lot of programs
> that come with or are added on to Perl that are distributed solely
> under the Artistic license (a lot of modules on CPAN).  Anyway, the
> Artistic license is not so restrictive that we shouldn't be able to
> accomodate programs written for it in the main distribution...

Well guys, I think this is a non issue. As I read the definition of free
software written by Bruce, the Artistic License is an acceptable license.
It does not restrict distribution of the software for a fee. I realize
that a "critical" reading might lead one to believe that it does, but I
don't see it. I sell CDs of the Debian release, and, if I wished, could
ask $1000.00 per CD. I would be over-valuing my time a bit ;-) and
probably wouldn't sell any at that price, but no one could effectivly
argue that I was charging that fee for Perl (or any other Artistic
Licensed software)

I honestly don't see any conflict here. What the paragraph says to me is
that you can't restrict the distribution of the software based on the
exchange of money. From my reading, the Artistic License doesn't do that
and is perfectly acceptable (asside from the fact that it is explicitly
called out as an acceptable license.

Luck,

Dwarf