Re: The "free" debate (again) <sigh>

> > Ahem...  The only "100% free software" is that software which is public
> > domain.  Period.  GNU is not 100% free because I am not free to do
> > everything I want with software licensed under the GPL.
>
> PD software is in danger of being copywrited by an unscrupulous
> individual or company.

There are some restrictions, I believe, on how much the software must
change before a copyright can be placed on it.

However, adding a copyright to the code only affects that code.  The original
is still public domain and has the same lack of restrictions.

> Copyleft (or similar) is much safer.

Safer, but less free.

Don't forget about the other freedom...  The freedom of choice!

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )