Re: The "free" debate (again) <sigh>

> I think the best way to deal with all this would be to merge all of
> the distribution (main, contrib, non-free) into one big tree and then
> extend the priority to include "contrib", "unmodifyable", and "non-free".

"unmodifiable" is a synonym for "unmaintainable" IMHO.

If a package's copyright prohibits us from fixing its bugs, we certainly do
not want other packages from the main distribution depending upon it in any
way.

For example, let's say PAM was under an "unmodifiable" licence, and we used it
in the main distribution for all login access, and a bug turned up in PAM.
Debian would be FUBAR.

This need for independence is reflected quite nicely be the current main vs.
non-free & contrib split, which also allows people to selectively mirror just
the main distribution.

> People (including cd-manufactures) could easily exclude priorities that
> they don't want to install/distribute.  Those of us that want a choice
> can have one.

You've already got the choice.  What you seem to be objecting to is the
entirely intentional discrimination that we apply to "unmaintainable" packages.

and from an earlier mail, Brian wrote:
> It's still free of cost and is freely redistributable in its original form.
> Personally, I think that's sufficient.

Cost has got almost nothing to do with it --- M$ Internet Explorer is
currently free of charge (until they kill Netscape with their monopolistic
tactics), but I don't think that makes it qualify as freeware in any useful
sense.

Cheers, Phil.