Re: Debian's Statement of Commitment to Free Software

cjf@netaxs.com (Chris Fearnley)  wrote on 10.06.97 in <199706100529.BAA23002@unix3.netaxs.com>:

Slight problem here. Probably only needs a clarification.

> |2. Reselling and fees.
> >   The license may not restrict any party from selling or giving
> >  away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution
> >  containing programs from several different sources. The license may not
> >  require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

This effectively says that distribution rights may differ depending on
aggregation (must be unrestricted in aggregate, but not when distributed
alone).

> |7. Redistributors' rights.
> >   The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
> >   being part of a Debian system. If a person extracts the program from
> >   Debian and uses it or distributes it without Debian, that person and
> >   any people to whom the program is redistributed should have the same
> >   rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the Debian system.

This is probably meant to say that what is shipped with Debian, should be
shippable under the same terms with FreeBSD. It can, however, be read as
contradicting paragraph 2.

In general, I agree that a reordering of those paragraphs would be in
order. Maybe putting them in three general categories - maintainer rules
(like the patch file thing), distributor rules (like the above stuff), and
end user rules (like the genetic research stuff).

MfG Kai