Re: Debian's Statement of Commitment to Free Software

From: kai@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen)
> This effectively says that distribution rights may differ depending on
> aggregation (must be unrestricted in aggregate, but not when distributed
> alone).

Yes. Not what I'd like, but without that we lose all of the "Artistic
License" programs except for those which can also be distributed under
the GPL (Perl can be, as well as a lot of the others). Note paragraph
5 of the Artistic license. I don't know how many programs are licensed
under the Artistic and _not_ the GPL. This is worth investigating. If
you come up with "none" or "no important ones", we can drop this
provision, however we would then also have to drop use of the Artistic
license as one of the examples of free software. Please look at this
issue and get back to us with your opinion.

> This is probably meant to say that what is shipped with Debian, should be
> shippable under the same terms with FreeBSD. It can, however, be read as
> contradicting paragraph 2.

Oops. Rewrite:

7. The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
   being part of a Debian system. If the program is extracted from Debian
   and used or distributed without Debian but otherwise within the terms
   of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed
   should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with
   the Debian system.

Regarding the re-ordering, I'm holding that off lest I confuse the discussion
of the current document.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.