Re: Developer's handling of bug reports

   On Jun 12, joost witteveen wrote:

> >    On May 30, joost witteveen wrote:
> >
> > > x11 menuentries), I suscpect that he's simply too shy to admit reporting
> > > something that never happened.
> >
> > Now calling me a liar is not exactly respectful behavior!

I will resend you the info you requested if I still have a copy of the
message (I'll contact you privately about that)

> "I suspect he's too shy" is rahter different from accusing somebody
> of Lying!

What you said was that you suspected I wasn't going to "admit reporting
something that never happened" -- in other words, lying.

I did not take offense to it (this was just an example) -- I am,
unfortunately, accustomed to this sort of thing wrt bug reports.  To me, it
is just annoying and I generally give up on researching the cause of a bug
when that happens...  To people that are not Debian developers, it could be
much worse -- we need to keep these things "professional".  Also, since all
our bug logs are public, we should at least put on a good front.

I think we are missing the point a bit here -- the point is not this message
in particular -- it's that there are *lots* of messages like this out there
(not necessarily from you) -- that are mean, insulting, whatever to
submitters.

There are some people out there that are doing a great job, too -- one that
comes to mind is Dirk Eddelbuettel, maintainer of xlockmore.  I submitted a
bug report with a problem with one mode of xlockmore when running in
16bpp mode.  Dirk took it seriously (even though he couldn't duplicate it
with his 8bpp server) and communicated with the upstream maintainer and got
it fixed within a week if memory serves.