Ok to relase this?

Hi,

I wrote this note two weeks ago and asked for comments. It seems that
people liked it, since no one objected to it.

So, is it OK to release it? I think that it might not directly attract people,
but it creates "brand name recognition" (Is that the term used by publicists?)

As I said, it is oriented to _potential_ NT sysadmins, i.e., to MS users who
in the future might find themselves having to set up some Web server or
firewall and then do it the only way they ever heard of: by using
Windows NT.

Besides, I think that a buzzword-full note with too many Unix specific terms
might scare typical journalists away. That is why I mention "operating system"
only once and the only specific programs mentioned are the Linux kernel and X.

I forgot to say that I don't need any credit for it. So consider it
property of SIP if you like, or public domain otherwise.

Tired of the ever increasing demand for resources of major PC operating
systems, a group of some 200 volunteers have put together a new system
targeted at Internet power users. This system allows people to use even an
old 386 PC to take advantage of the capabilities of the Internet to its full
extent, going beyond the more common, but limited, uses of Web browsing and
e-mail reading. Those capabilities usually require either a computer more
powerful than a simple PC or a full-featured PC, both normally accompanied
by a big investment in server software. However, the new system scales to
any hardware configuration including high-performance multiple-CPU machines.

As this system, called Debian GNU/Linux, was assembled by a not-for-profit
organization and is based on 100% free software, it is offered for free
on the Internet. Alternatively, it can be bought in CD-ROM from several
independent vendors. Since there are no royalties involved, the price is just
a little more than the costs of making and distributing the CD-ROM.

The software on which this system is based was written by some computer
professionals and computer science students who needed more features than
those usually found in PC software. Among them are the Free Software
Foundation, another non-profit organization which sponsors the GNU project.
This project is the source of a considerable quantity of the freely
distributable software existent. Another key programmer is Linus Torvalds, a
Finnish Computer Science graduate who created the main basic component
(the Linux kernel) while he was a student. Each author keeps the copyright of
the part they wrote but licenses it in a way which allows free use and
redistribution of the program and its source code. This licensing scheme is
known as freeware, as opposed to the public domain scheme in which authors
relinquish their copyright.

All this software is available to anyone on the Internet, usually distributed
in separate files. But thanks to the new organization "Software in the Public
Interest" it can be found now as one integrated system, in which all separate
files have been made to cooperate with each other. There are other commercial
Linux-based systems, but the main distinguishing feature of Debian GNU/Linux
is that it is a very high quality, professional system offered as a
non-commercial product.

As an example of the high quality of this system, it was chosen as the
platform for some experiments onboard the US space shuttle. It is also the
favorite system of many computer network administrators around the world
because it makes critical Internet functions like operating Web sites or
limiting access to unwanted network pirates simple, fast and highly
customizable while being one of the most secure (commercial or non-commercial)
systems available now.

Debian GNU/Linux can also turn a PC into a powerful workstation. Due to the low
resource needs of the system itself it leaves more memory and CPU cycles
to user programs. This makes them run faster and improves the reliability of
the whole system. The use of the standard X Window System, found on almost
every professional machine more powerful than a PC or a Mac, brings to the PC
programs for which you would otherwise require an expensive workstation.

For more information on Debian GNU/Linux please check http://www.debian.org/

 [ This note is oriented to DOS/Win people, but it targets the Windows-NT
 potential sysadmin more than it does the dumb DOS/Win95 user. ]