Re:"Social Contract" [anti-trust]

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

> On Jun 26, Dale Scheetz wrote
> > I have created a product that I call "Drop in Debian" or DiD that I
> > distribute on my CDs, as a value added product. If SPI becomes the only
> > entity that is allowed to use the name Debian, I will have to rename the
> > product something like "Drop in *nix of the third kind" which has a gross
> > acronym.
>
> > I'm pretty sure that a trademark is too restrictive a mechanism for this
> > association. I'm not sure how you would get standing, but something like a
> > "freemark" might be an interesting exersize for some aspiring young
> > lawyer.
>
> That is probably closer to what I had in mind; a means to have some control
> over what projects we (the Debian developers) are associated with.

I am probably just confused about which of the above is closer to what
you had in mind. If you are saying the the "freemark" was closer, then I
agree.

If you are saying that I should be required to gain permission from SPI
before my "Debian based" project can use the name "Debian" then our
product has just become proprietary, which violates the terms of the GPL
that protect most of the core programs from this kind of "control".

We can't say that this product is free to use, but some restrictions
apply to the use of its name.

What Debian developers have control over, is the quality of their
individual packages. This quality is protected under the free software
licenses that Debian recognises.

Waiting is,

Dwarf