Re:"Social Contract" [anti-trust]

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I am probably just confused about which of the above is closer to what
> you had in mind. If you are saying the the "freemark" was closer, then I
> agree.
>
> If you are saying that I should be required to gain permission from SPI
> before my "Debian based" project can use the name "Debian" then our
> product has just become proprietary, which violates the terms of the GPL
> that protect most of the core programs from this kind of "control".

Why not just trademark "Debian", and give everyone a free license to use
the trademark - explicityly reserving the right to revoke any individual
or company's license at any time for (tarnishing the reputation of
debian|other heinous crimes).

this is just an idea...i'm not sure if it would be legally valid -
giving the license for free may invalidate the trademark or something.
i vaguely recall that that is why the "cool! it works with linux" logo
costs 1 cent.

Frankly, unless something extreme happened (e.g. some a**ehole
trademarking Debian like has been done with Linux), I don't think
it matters that much. Anyone that tried something evil would have
their reputation completely and irrevocably destroyed by hordes of
debian & linux enthusiasts. The net is a very public place, and
getting more so every day. (they would probably find their systems/web
sites/networks/etc hacked into oblivion by unscrupulous enthusiasts too)

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract