Re: "Social Contract" [anti-trust]

dwarf@polaris.net (Dale Scheetz)  wrote on 27.06.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970627120959.21670A-100000@dwarf.polaris.net>:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 1997 jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
>
> > I'd just like to have some way of making sure that a "Debian based"
> > product is indeed that.
> >
> Agreed. I'm just not sure that a trademark will be "free" enough.

It's not the trademark as such. It's the license that goes with it.

It works just the same as with copyright.

The GPL works like this: first, you claim your copyright. This means
(simplified) nobody can do anything without your permission.

Then you give that permission for some things, and not for others.

So: we get the Debian trademark, and then we make a license that says "You
may use the Debian trademark as follows ... you may not use it as follows
... if there is anything unclear about this, or you have in mind any uses
of the trademark not covered by this license, contact us at ... or any
future version of this license ...".

Then we just have to work out what to replace the dots with.

One point here: if we use lawyerspeak, we should ask a lawyer to look it
over. In general, courts seem to assume that once it sounds like a lawyer
wrote it, it can be assumed that all the legal terms were used exactly
like a lawyer would use it and need no interpretation, whereas if it
doesn't sound that way, it may be necessary to find out what the author
intended to do.

Also, not using lawyerspeak should mean that people have an easier time to
understand what we want :-)

MfG Kai