Re: Interesting dpkg issue, plus thoughts...

Could we please tone down the level of advocacy regarding
dpkg/debmake/etc. a bit?  We are all volunteers here, and yelling at
each other doesn't really accomplish anything useful.

----

Dale:

I very much agree with the sentiment of your message.  However, to the
best of my knowledge, no negative change has ever been made to dpkg
because of debmake.  I continue to regard debmake as a very valuable
contribution to the Debian project.

Christoph:

You are absolutely right.  There are scores of limitations in dpkg
that urgently need to be fixed, and the possibilities for desirable
enhancements are almost countless.  Publically berating the dpkg
maintainers, however, does little to improve the situation.

Dpkg is a large, complex, and convoluted piece of software.  I (and
others) are working hard to clean it up and improve it, but there is
much to be done.  As always, I welcome the assistance of anyone who
would like to help me in my efforts.  Contact me privately, and I can
suggest one of at least a dozen places to contribute.

----

And while I'm talking about other people contributing to dpkg, allow
me to take this opportunity to publically express my gratitude to
Joost Witteveen for his work on the fakeroot package.

I recently added a mechanism to dpkg-source to allow it to build a
package in a chrooted environment, using a specified set of binary
packages as a compilation base.  The only problem was that the build,
though chrooted, was still running as root, and I was having trouble
coming up with a clean way to build existing packages as non-root
without having to replace all of the 'chmod/chown/install' packages
and their siblings.

Joost's program is one of the best hacks I've seen in months, has
saved me several weeks of hacking, and, with a bit of work to the
other tools, paves the way for a completely automated package build
mechanism .  Thanks!