Re: Interesting dpkg issue, plus thoughts...

kai@khms.westfalen.de (Kai Henningsen) writes:
> mdorman@calder.med.miami.edu (Michael Alan Dorman)  wrote on 11.07.97 in <87zprt87f8.fsf@calder.med.miami.edu>:
> > I'm looking to try and build some of that cross-checking back in
> > before I hand it off to Klee.  Heck, I may even try and do things
> > *right*, and delve into cpio and see if I can't get it to recognize
> > the way GNU tar handles long file names.
> Again, long file names are standard in tar format. Long link names aren't,
> but those are rarely needed.

If you mean that there are standard methods for encoding names > 100
characters in tar, then I agree, POSIX tells us how, and, further,
cpio understands them.

If you mean that GNU tar does so, then I must say that the current
maintainer of tar does not seem to think so, since he states, in the
README file in the tar-1.12 source, the paragraph marked "POSIX
compliance":

  Don't be mislead by the mere existence of the --posix.  Later
  releases will become able to read truly POSIX archives, and also to
  produce them under option.

I think the opinion of the author, and my opinion after examining the
code in GNU tar, is that GNU tar does not produce archives that encode
filenames *of any sort* longer than 100 characters in a POSIX fashion.

According to cpio, the proper way to encode filenames > 100 characters
is to find a common prefix for all of the files in the archive, stuff
that in the prefix field in the header, and then encode the remainder
of the filename in the filename spot.  Now I'll admit that I have not
pored over the tar code in extreme detail, so I certainly admit I
might be getting this wrong, but it does not seem to be doing that.

So am I missing something?

Mike.