Vendor-sec disclosure policy

Hi all,

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997 17:59:18 BST, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
[Quoted message from vendor-sec deleted]

Let me ask people to not re-distribute things posted to this list too
widely. Information posted here can be either confidential (about
security holes not yet disclosed; forwarded info from CERT), or
preliminary (MD5sums of fixes may change if the distributor goes through
another test cycle before releasing the update info), etc.

Therefore, it is not a good idea to re-post this info to other mailing
lists, as Enrique did. It is desirable to include individual maintainers
in the discussion of a particular fix, but general information leakage
will only complicate our work.

Currently, there are two addresses on the list that are obvious mailing
list aliases, security@caldera.com and security@debian.org. I know that on
the caldera alias, there are currently 8 ppl from both Caldera and LST.
How many are there on the Debian list? I would feel a little reluctant
about posting confidential info to this list if it turns out that
it is being resent to 100+ people by way of exploders or procmail filters.
Also, there seems to be interest at DFN-CERT to use this list as a general
sink for Linux-related security information they receive, which may also
be strictly confidential if it affects other OSes besides Linux.

Related topic: I already had a short exchange with Erik about how to deal
with releasing bug-fix information to users. My opinion on this is that
as long as the bug has been disclosed on any public list or newsgroup,
there's no need to introduce a waiting period before you make your fix
available for FTP, or announce it to your users over your user mailing
lists. The joint announcements are just a way to group all these infos
in a single message that can then be posted to cola or linux-security,
any maybe forwarded to CERT lists etc. In the first place, it's a service
to users who are not on their distributor's mailing list, and it's a PR
thing to give Linux a more professional image.

On the other hand, I feel that for bugs that have not yet been disclosed
publicly, closer coordination is wanted. In cases like these, I would
suggest we release fixes in sync with the announcements.

Do people feel this is a reasonable approach?

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir@monad.swb.de  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax