Re: policy wrt distribution of modified binaries

> Hi folks!
>
> I think we should discuss the "policy wrt distribution of modified
> binaries" again, since this issue comes up every few weeks and it is not
> covered in the Policy Manual yet.
>
> For "main" it is very clear (see DFSG, point 3 and 4).
>
> In the last discussion about this topic we said that the licenses must
> allow distribution of modified binaries, since
>
>     1)  we need to adapt programs to our system (i.e. filesystem) and
>     2)  we want to be allowed to package the file in a `.deb'.

    3) We want to be able to port the package to different architectures

> Thus, I suggest to allow packages who's license restricts distribution of
> modified binaries to go into non-free or contrib, if all other
> requirements of these sections are met.

Yeah, probably gnuplot should go into contrib.

It's the initial shock of realising that gnuplot really
isn't free that makes people (myself included) shout "non-free",
but after thinking about it, contrib is probably better.

BTW, I remember that qt is OK to be distributed -- would that
mean it can be moved too? This probably means several other
packages can move too. (I don't have qt on my system, and
I believe there still isn't an easy way to look at the copyright
files of non-free packages (or any package, for that matter)
I guess there should be an easy way).

Actually, I don't really care whether something goes into non-free
or in contrib, I'm not a CD maker or buyer.

I do really care about what goes in main: "Debian-Free" only,
please!

Thanks,

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org
#!/usr/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj