Re: Non-free packages and CD distribution

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Scott K. Ellis wrote:

> Okay, I'm getting a tad sick of hearing the discussion about moving
> non-free stuff that is CD distributable into contrib.  I personally agree
> with Bruce that we need to make a clear statement to the world, and to the
> authors of these non-free packages, that they aren't doing themselves any
> good by gratuitous restrictions on modification and distribution.
>
> However, I also agree that it would be convenient for lots of people,
> myself included, for those packages in non-free which can be redistributed
> on CD to be available on CD.  This may include those packages which we
> gain a special exemption from the author to have them distributed as part
> of Debian (zip/unzip, et.al.).  So I'm actually going to get back to work
> on the "Distribution Notes for Non-Free Packages" paper that I volunteered
> to work on some time ago, but got bogged down in work.

Oh, I didn't know someone else is working on this! I will write something
like that in the next few days (will be part of the new `Debian Developers
Reference') if we have a consensus about the contrib/non-free policy.

> Any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.  Minor thought, should we
> move this discussion to debian-devel?

No. This is highly "political" stuff and thus should be discussed on
debian-private before presenting it to the public. Please keep it in
debian-private for now.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com