Re: several messages

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Scott K. Ellis wrote:

> Okay, I'm getting a tad sick of hearing the discussion about moving
> non-free stuff that is CD distributable into contrib.  I personally agree
> with Bruce that we need to make a clear statement to the world, and to the
> authors of these non-free packages, that they aren't doing themselves any
> good by gratuitous restrictions on modification and distribution.
>
> However, I also agree that it would be convenient for lots of people,
> myself included, for those packages in non-free which can be redistributed
> on CD to be available on CD.  This may include those packages which we
> gain a special exemption from the author to have them distributed as part
> of Debian (zip/unzip, et.al.).  So I'm actually going to get back to work
> on the "Distribution Notes for Non-Free Packages" paper that I volunteered
> to work on some time ago, but got bogged down in work.
>
> Any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.  Minor thought, should we
> move this discussion to debian-devel?

A few months ago, I posted a message asking for clarifications about
distribution restrictions, our policy, and the (then) recently-proposed
free sofware guidelines. Bruce answered:

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> The high standards I proposed are for inclusion in the main part of the
> distribution. Regarding "contrib" and "non-free", both are for programs
> that for some reason do not meet our standards. The main difference is that
> programs in "contrib" can be redistributed with impunity, those in
> non-free require you to check their license and see what rights you have
> on a per-package basis.

So, if I understood it correctly, packages currently in "non-free" that can
be redistributed without restrictions, should be in "contrib".
I've filed a few bug reports about that issue, so I would like to know if
I should close them, or they are still considered bugs.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi					ezanardi@noah.dfis.ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental