Re: contrib/non-free policy

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Herbert Xu <herbert@greathan.apana.org.au>
> > Does this mean qt still can't go into contrib even though that its
> > authors have oked it?
>
> The thing that was keeping Qt in non-free was that its license makes it free
> only for use with the X window system. Until their license meets the free
> software guidelines Qt stays in non-free.

Sorry, but this argument (only the argument) is not valid. If we'd say
that every package that does not meet the free software guidelines, we'd
have to move everything from contrib to non-free, except the very few
packages which meet the DFSG but depend on non-free or contrib packages.

That's the "not non-free != free" problem :-) We call a program complying
with the DFSG "free", but "non-free" means "not-freely-redistributable",
which is only a subset of all "non-DFSG" packages.

(I'll wait for the reactions on my other mail beforing into more details.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/