Re: Buffer overruns etc.

jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:

>> I propose that we form a group which goes through all security-relevant
>> source code with a fine comb, looks for possible weaknesses, and then
>> takes appropriate action.  Could somebody please create an appropriate
>> mailing list, and subscribe me?
>
>IIRC, there are already some such attempts
>- I saw proposals on linux-security

There are proposals, but noting is actually happening in the Linux
community that I'm aware of.

I think Debian is uniqely fit for this forum because we have something
we can point to and say "This is our distribution".  We're also a fairly
large group, we have a working bug tracking system, and we have a
working version of checker.

>- OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org) is rather active in pro-active security
>  inspections of code.

Yep.  Does anybody know where we can get their results?

>Probably it is best to attempt this kind of project in cooperation with as
>many freeware projects as possible; contacting linux-security and the
>various BSDs might prove helpful.

Agreed.  I'm all in favour of exchanging data with them.  However, I
still think that an effort focusing on Debian effort is well worth it.
--
Thomas Koenig, Thomas.Koenig@ciw.uni-karlsruhe.de, ig25@dkauni2.bitnet.
The joy of engineering is to find a straight line on a double