Re: contrib/non-free policy

Hi,
>>"Alex" == Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:

Alex> Bruce, who whould bother supporting the packages which CANNOT be
Alex> distributed for profit (typical candidates for non-free) ? Only
Alex> non-profit organizations like Debian.

	Sorry, this does not happen to be the case. Guess who bundles
 in commercial X servers? Where does one get Motif from? If the
 authors care to see their product distributed, they shall find a
 way. If they place restrictions on distribution, who are we to argue?
 All we say is that we shall not deliver any such software.

Alex> Placing more packages in non-free will only benefit users by
Alex> making available for installation in convenient form lots of
Alex> free (from consumer point of view) software.

	Benefitting users is nice, but ultimately Debian is its
 contributors. It woill be hard to get Debian to do something that the
 volunteers do not care for (I don't really care to deliver non-free
 programs to peoples doorsteps, after all, all such are available on
 our ftp site, and I heard of people delivering unstable and contrib
 on CD's).

Alex> When you decided to put into Official CD both main and contrib
Alex> distribution, it was logical, because it was the reason to have
Alex> this split contib/non-free. Therefore noone, including truly FSG
Alex> adherent members of Debian community (Sorry for my English)
Alex> complained about that. Now, when you decided to remove contrib,
Alex> I saw that only Manoj agreed with your decision. (I don't have
Alex> illusions about several other key developers though.)

	I don't think we can make a decision about the silent
 majority. The only indication we have of peoples inclinations is the
 resounding support of only free software in the main distribution,
 which may or may not imply support for dropping contrib.

Alex> Politics never worth making trouble for lots of people (debian
Alex> users in this case). PLEASE, reconsider your decision in favor
Alex> of common sense and not politics.

	What you call politics may be closely related to what drives
 Linux, FSF, and Debian development; without it, our only choice may
 have been commercial operating system (bleah).

	manoj
 up on a soapbox
--
 Crazee Edeee, his prices are INSANE!!!