Re: Deviating from the Social Contract?

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
> > Step 4.  Once vitamin-d shows that it can handle vitamin-d only packages,
> > vitamin-d takes over all of contrib/non-free so that Debian can be focused
> > on it's true goal.
>
> If this is _ever_ to happen it would only be after we became convinced that
> the packages would have a better home with the vitamin-d group. As you can
> see, people already suspect me of giving contrib and non-free the boot, which
> is not currently my plan.

Personally, I didn't want that, all I wanted was for vitamin-d to be
contrib/non-free, but people said, we should put gated on,.... So I said
we'll see.  Personally, I'm probably not going to be around if it comes to
that stage, I was just thinking that if vitamin-d might want to go in that
direction one day.  People should then view vitamin-d as being like the
contrib section on red hat.

However, my main goal is to get out a contrib/non-free CD.  I believe I
can get that done within the limited time I have left, but whatever
vitamin-d does after that is up to whoever wants to continue it.

(sound better?)

Shaya