Re: US software law (was Re: Packaging spice and xwave)

On Sat, 26 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

>From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>
>> And thus his software does not qualify to be included in Debian.

Since you are so good at taking things out of context: Let me say that we
am now leaving the topic of the general nature of Dan Bersteins software
and I am just talking about qmail.

>SURPRISE!
>
>1. Qmail has a license.
>2. Qmail's license qualifies under our free software guidelines.

License from
debian/project/experimental/qmail_1.00-2_i386.deb

Contents of qmails copyright file:
-- begin
Qmail is Copyright 1996, D. J. Bernstein.
-- end

This does not qualify. What are the exact copyright restriction? Do I
remember correctly that Dan gave the Debian Project special permission for
redistribugtion? What DJB says on his homepages means that we had to get
special permission for redistribution. He explicitly says that below.
Qmail is not satisfying our copyright requirements.

>From DJBs homepages:

--- begin
You may distribute copies of qmail-1.00.tar.gz, with MD5 checksum
d3033be700fd6f59ac0548c832652dd3.

You may distribute copies of qmail-1.01.tar.gz, with MD5 checksum
1f606d6a5d1caaca6da6b6fa5db500bf.

Vendors: I'd be interested in hearing about any CDs that include the
package, but you don't have to check with me if you don't want to.

If you want to distribute modified versions of qmail (e.g., different
packaging formats, porting changes, precompiled binaries) you'll have to
get my
approval. Note that this means approval of the version, not approval of
your distribution method.

--- end