Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > It will in fact discourage much of what is now in contrib from
> > appearing on any CDs, not just the Official Debian one.
>
> On the contrary, if we adopt solution 1, then all contrib software
> will be DFSG compliant.  It may depend on non-free or non-US software
> to run, but will be free (not just free to distribute).  We could then
> include contrib (though a smaller contrib) on the official CD.

Everything IMHO:

We even could distribute non-DFSGish software on the official CD. The
question is whether this helps the Debian goal of promoting free
software. It does, because it helps the people who need the non-DFSG
stuff to use free software (whole Debian). The CD is no political
statement (this is different from FSF's habits), instead it is a means
of distributing software, so it's the same like Debian's FTP
server. The only difference is that the CD usually are distributed by
commercial entities, so some programs are forbidden to be distributed
on CD or need special negotiations. (Unless someone makes his own
CD. Do we need an extra Official image for these people?)

Regarding the original discussion: I prefer the second solution.

Thanks to Christian Schwarz for summarizing the disussion.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/