Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

As far as I understand detailed explanations I've received here:

    SR: We even could distribute non-DFSGish software on the official
    SR: CD. The question is whether this helps the Debian goal of
    SR: promoting free software. It does, because it helps the people
    SR: who need the non-DFSG stuff to use free software (whole
    SR: Debian).

- It does not, because it promotes non-free software. (IMHO it beats
  free SW, but I can mistake, no opinion about it can be proven.)

    SR: The CD is no political statement

- It is. :-(

    SR: instead it is a means of distributing software, so it's the
    SR: same like Debian's FTP server.

- It is not. :-(

- The final decision (which I fully respect) is to distribute only
  DFSG compliant software on the official CD.

In this case I prefer solution 1, because it is more simple.  I even
wouldn't be against simple splitting to Debian/non-Debian (with non-US
split to these two and not mirrored in US), which would be clear to
everyone (AFAIK most "common users", even some Debian developers :-),
don't know exact..any difference between main/contrib/non-free).  I
hope commercial CD distributors will go through non-free and
distribute packages from there and/or will use results of Vitamin D
activity.  In final effect, more packages could appear on CDs and so
Debian will be still used by many people and not only by enthusiastic
political activists.

Milan Zamazal