Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

schizo@debian.org (Clint Adams) writes:

> Impractical because master is in the U.S.?

Yes, that's one reason.  But even if master were not in the US, a
significant proportion of CDs are pressed and sold in the US.  Free
software ideologies not withstanding, one of the reasons we put
non-free separately is to make it easy for CD manufacturers to remove
that whole hierarchy.  The same reasoning applies to non-US packages.

Furthermore, dselect does not deal well with packages with
dependencies which can't be met.  Obviously that can be fixed though.

>  Even if the non-US packages
> need to be on another directory tree in the "free world," I don't think
> that this should preclude their inclusion in "main"

Indeed.  They could for example, be placed in one section under main,
or each packge could be placed into its appropriate section.  Packages
files would have to be rebuilt, but that's not difficult.

> nor do I think that
> packages dependent on them should necessarily be relegated to "contrib."

This is more difficult to achieve, but not in principle impossilbe.

> If, as I believe you said, source dependencies on non-main packages would
> disqualify that package from the main description, then it would seem that
> all PGP-signed files would need to be removed.  Obviously I'm stretching
> things here.

I think this is a valid point actually, and I readily confess that the
whole situation is terrible and inconsistent.  However I believe it to
be the most practical.

Guy