Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

> Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> writes:
>
> > This argument is being clouded by the overloading of the term ``main''
> >
> > Definitions:
> >
> > main(1) -- the packages that are allowed in the main directory on master
> >
> > main(2) -- the packages that fully comply with the DFSG (including
> >            dependencies etc.)
>
> I've never used "main" in the second manner.

I know --- but the people that are taking the opposing view tend to, which is
why the argument goes round in circles (we're not talking about the same
thing).

> > To achieve that, we need to have dselect pick up on the fact that there is
> > a non-us directory around, and we need to split the non-us packages into
> > main and non-free (or contrib, lets not get into that ;-).
>
> Yes, it already does.

Does it ?   I always have to specify non-us as my ``local''.  What am I doing
wrong ?

> > Alternatively, we could have the export restricted packages be represented
> > by symbolic links in the main directory (both in and out of the US), but
> > have the thing they point at be a stub package on the US sites.
>
> No.

Fair enough.

> > This is more elegant, since it would handle the vagaries of e.g. French law
> > etc. etc.
>
> It is much more work, but with marginal improvements, and thus not
> particularly elegant.
>
> And every country seems to have different regulations on cryptography
> systems.  See http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/lawsurvy.htm

That was the point I was trying to make.  With the symbolic link solution
(which I agree is probably more trouble than it is worth), the French sites
could have a different view of the main(2) distribution, by filtering out only
those packages that were unacceptable in France.

I don't see how one could implement a similar solution using multiple
non-country directories without getting in a bit of a mess.  Any ideas ?

Cheers, Phil.