Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

Hi,
>>"Guy" == Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> writes:

Guy> Nor do they.  But they do have sway over Debian's classification
Guy> of "mainness."  Being DFSG compliant, or free, is not a
Guy> sufficient condition to go into main.

	Sorry, no. They just have sway over what resides in the US FTP
 sites, not what we in Debian think belongs in the main Debian
 distribution. These are two very different things.

	If Master were shifted to Denmark (or France) we should have
 different things in the main directory, but what belongs in the main
 Debian distribution should rise above local parochialisms. We
 certainly should not base our policy on laws in, say, Libya. (I know
 we in the United states believe in a variation of ``we are the people
 choosen by god, guardians of the free world and the known universe,
 so by gar, we are special'', but I don't think it really applies).

	I also think that our policy should not be skewed to give
 special preference to the CD distributors in Iraq or the US.

	Manoj
 citizen of the Milky Way.
--
 "The part I think I'd like best is crushing people who get in my
 way." Calvin