Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

[Just to forstall one particular criticism: I'm completely opposed to
anything non-DFSG going into main.  That's not what I'm talking about
supporting here. ]

This {contrib,non-*} discussion is running in circles.

In my opinion, we have long passed the point of diminishing returns
for this argument.  I think that we actually have a problem here which
needs the application of more technical expertise than persuasive
discourse.

In any reasonable sense the existance of non-US is in fact a
prejudice.  We should just admit that and quit trying to dance around
the issue.  Whether or not we keep non-US for practical (or other
reasons) is another question.

My own feeling is that we should improve the quality of our
distribution mechanism so that we aren't limited to having to
segregate things into separate directories to make them easy to
exclude.  Then the problem goes away.

This means that we should be spending our time trying to figure out
how to reorganize our layout and improve our tools to make this
possible rather than trying to convince ourselves that there isn't
really a problem.

I don't know about the actual case of PGP, because I'm not really
familiar with its license, but in the case of a hypothetical
completely free, GPLed, no international patent infringement
encumbered strong encription package, it should absolutely go in main
regardless of what the US or France think about it, and our tools
should be able to handle that, making sure that the package only
appears on mirrors outside the US.  Note that this doesn't even have
to imply moving the master site outside the US (though it could).  We
just need a more distributed/sophisticated upload and mirroring
mechanism.

Just MHO.
--
Rob