Re: There are _TWO_ discussions here

> > First, Christian and I (and possibly others), want to make contrib
> > packages DFSG compliant.  This is an important issue, and practically
> > nobody has responded to it.
>
> I think it's a great idea and felt no need to argue.  You can count this
> as a "me too," FWIW.

Well, some time ago we had a wonderful summary of propositions.

1) Leave the current scheme along (divide on the basis of freely
distributable - not freely distributable), and

2) Change policy to DFSG compliant - non-DSFG compliant division basis

In spite of the fact that I probaly have reputation of the guy who tries
to losen as much as possible the criteria for each distribution portion,
I may agree that #2 have some sense in view of the recent changes.
This would be at least consistent with them (and may very well lead to
a dead end, but that's a different story). I tend to support this idea,
but I have some questions. What would be the consequences of changing that
policy? Namely, will the DFSG-compliant contrib be included into the
Official CD? Will it be considered as part of the Debian?
I bet that someone will soon figure out that this would mean having
Motif applications as a part of a Debian (absolutely impossible thing,
having dependence on  standard _proprietary_ software- no way!!!) and
answer "no" to my questions.

So, if the answer is "no", what is the reason to have this
contrib/non-free division at all? Let's just merge them.

Alex Y.

P.S.
And a side note for the free software activists. What was the reason for
XFree86-3.3 to have fonts gzipped instead of compressed? Accordind to
Mark Eichin - promotion of free software. Great. What are the results of
this promotion? Those users who already payed for commercial servers will
have to pay more for an upgrade (or ungzip the fonts, but for someone that
migh not be an option). "Promotion" of free software lead to the extra
money for commercial server vendors and more troubles for users.
Is that what you _really_ want? You are trying to convince me in that
real hard, guys. Neglecting the current needs of the users in favor of
"better future" is a dead end.

--
   _
 _( )_