Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

> They most certainly are when they invalidate a copyright. The current
> export restrictions on encryption make it impossible to assign a "Free"
> copyright/license to those pieces of software that fall under the export
> restrictions.

NOW I see your point.  But governments (which you might say are legal
fiction just like copyrights, licenses, patents, and export
restrictions) are third parties imposing additional silly rules
upon the author's original silly rules.  It seems to me that "punishing"
software packages by labelling them non-DFSG-compliant is unproductive.
There is a movement here to liberate software from oppressive legal fiction
by putting it under a different form of legal fiction that is "free" in
the Debian ideology, which not all of us interpret in the same way.

Perhaps SPI should start lobbying Congress to get a clue so we can
lessen the "real" restrictions on distribution as well as the fictional ones.
Perhaps not.  But, unless we're trying to incite a popular revolution,
I think that Debian should not work to make oppressive localized
legislation any more meaningful than it is.