Re: There are _TWO_ discussions here

> Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > Namely, will the DFSG-compliant contrib be included into the
> > Official CD?
>
> Bruce has not explicitly said that, but I expect he will.  The whole
> basis for the contrib removal was because that software was not
> DFSG-free.

Well, unfortunately this is only your opinion, Guy. I'd really like to
hear that from Bruce himself.

> > Will it be considered as part of the Debian?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I bet that someone will soon figure out that this would mean having
> > Motif applications as a part of a Debian
>
> Yes.
>
> > (absolutely impossible thing,
> > having dependence on  standard _proprietary_ software- no way!!!
>
> That's the point.  contrib is DFSG-free but not self-contained.  It
> depends for use or build on non-free, contrib, non-US, other
> proprietary software.

Again, unfortunately, this is only your opinion. My impression is that
"talking" minority (as opposed to the silent majority) of the maintainers
would not support it. (Joost?)

Alex Y.

P.S.
> > And a side note for the free software activists. What was the reason for
> > XFree86-3.3 to have fonts gzipped instead of compressed? Accordind to
> > Mark Eichin - promotion of free software.
>
> Yes, otherwise XFree86 would itself have to go into contrib because it
> requires compress in order to build.
>
> > Those users who already payed for commercial servers will
> > have to pay more for an upgrade (or ungzip the fonts, but for someone that
> > migh not be an option).
>
> They can gunzip and compress the fonts.

Yes, for you and me that would mean spending < 5 minutes to write a script
and 30(?) minutes to run it. Inexperienced user have the only option -
upgrade. Why we couldn't do that ourselves (XFree86 people, whoever) and
place compressed fonts packages into contrib? That would mean real support
for the users using non-free software (as stated in our Social Contract).

--
   _
 _( )_