Re: next approach: new non-free/contrib policy

> They most certainly are when they invalidate a copyright. The current
> export restrictions on encryption make it impossible to assign a "Free"
> copyright/license to those pieces of software that fall under the export
> restrictions.

Why exactly do you believe this? Nothing in the ITAR or EAR makes this
claim.  MIT places a very open redistribution license on Kerberos
(Kerberos would in fact qualify as free software) but adds,
*independent* of the license, a warning that the *user* may need to be
aware of the restrictions imposed by the *US government* [not by MIT.]

They *certainly* don't invalidate the copyright -- all that does is
identify the author -- they simply add additional restrictions on the
*license* and it's *very* important to remember that copyright and
license are totally different things.

The important thing to note is that the Gov't restrictions *can*
change (in case you missed it, they *did* in Jan 97 when the ITAR was
replaced by the EAR, in reaction to the Bernstein case...) but the
license you get with the software generally can't (additional licenses
may be made available but without explicit provision for it the
license can't be *revoked*, and the Free Software licenses in general
don't have those provisions.)