Re: Final post to debian-private

Bruce wrote:
> You are right to leave debian-private.

I'm not really leaving it - I'm just not going to post to it.

> You did indeed violate
> confidentiality.

I'm not so sure.  If someone writes me a private e-mail about something
unimportant, I usually don't worry about saying "so-and-so wrote me an
e-mail on this subject".  But I wouldn't cross the line and post the
contents of the message without getting permission.

Posts to debian-private should be treated like private e-mail.  What you
can and can't do is fairly wishy-washy and depends on the situation.  As
far as debian-private goes, I don't remember signing a "blood oath of
secrecy" when I signed up as a Debian developer.

I'm not going to post to this list anymore because I think the
"confidentiality" of this list is going to cause more problems than
benefits.  It's a political stance - I'm not doing it because I feel
remorseful (or something like that).

In particular, I think we're losing prospective developers because they
can't really get a "handle" on what's going on just by reading debian-devel.

> In this case, it's a matter that I wanted to keep
> quiet because of the impact of this topic on the CD manufacturers. They
> provide an important service to our users and don't charge all that
> much for it. We owe them some consideration.

That's a prime example of something that you (Bruce) considers sensitive,
but really isn't that sensitive at all.  That particular topic definitely
belongs on a public list.  Frankly, I can't think of anything we've
discussed on debian-private that can really be considered "sensitive".
Sure, there were some rather embarrassing episodes -- but things probably
would have occurred differently if we hung our dirty laundry out to dry.

> I agree that the users opinions are important and that we should carry out
> some arguments on public lists. Of late debian-devel has become useless for
> that purpose - it's too noisy. Perhaps more list splitting will help.

The new debian-policy list seems custom made for this purpose.  It's not
too busy right now.  It has basically the same list of subscribers as
debian-private, and thus it will have essentially the same signal-to-noise
ratio.  The primary distinction is that discussion there is "on the record".
It's a shame we didn't have the DFSG debate "on the record" -- now it will
forever be a secret as to how we came up with it.

Cheers,

 - Jim