Re: Final post to debian-private

From: Chris Fearnley <cjf@netaxs.com>
> I am very concerned that by catering to one or several
> traditional vendors' concerns we may inadvertently stunt the growth
> potential of a competing verdor who has a business plan that is capable
> of taking advantage of the more frequent point release approach that
> several Debian developers (including myself) would prefer (BTW, I liked
> Manoj's compromise best).

It's possible for a vendor that can handle more rapid updates to do so,
they just have to mirror the FTP site and master CDs on demand.
The point of the Official CD is wide distribution and good prices. It's
working pretty well so far.

> We've been splitting lists for ages.  It just makes some discussions
> unavailable to those of us who might be interested but don't have time
> to play the list-subscribing game.

I accept that not everyone will be on every list. In fact, I'm sure I
won't be on some of them very often. We are too big to operate without
splitting into groups and delegating some tasks. Blame it on success.

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   510-215-3502