Re: Final post to debian-private

'Bruce Perens wrote:'
>From: Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu>
>> I agree that most of the threads on debian-private belong on
>> debian-devel.  The recent one on release numbering is no exception.
>
>I beg to differ. We've been discussing an issue that could cause one or
>more of the CD manufacturers a good deal of grief. When these guys are
>charging $4 for two CDs, they are hardly making a profit. We owe them the
>consideration of handing the matter quietly.

I would rather see them lobby us in public with their concerns than
hog-tie you and the private mailing list with confidentiality
overhead.

Moreover, I am very concerned that by catering to one or several
traditional vendors' concerns we may inadvertently stunt the growth
potential of a competing verdor who has a business plan that is capable
of taking advantage of the more frequent point release approach that
several Debian developers (including myself) would prefer (BTW, I liked
Manoj's compromise best).

>Debian-devel has become too noisy of late - I don't see how we can hold
>a serious discussion there. Maybe list-splitting will help.

We've been splitting lists for ages.  It just makes some discussions
unavailable to those of us who might be interested but don't have time
to play the list-subscribing game.  And worse the subgroups rarely if
ever report back to debian-devel further splintering the project
(thank you deity for being a pleasant exception to this practice!).

PS.  I merge all the debian mailing lists into one folder and rarely
pay any attention to which group any given message belongs to.  Hence I
never know when confidentiality is a factor.  Don't expect me to
understand or follow any such distinctions.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary