Re: Getting root on Linux

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

Certainly I agree that we shouldn't set passwords without asking
first.

The sitation is a bit ironic.  We go to all the trouble of making init
secure - launching sulogin in a single or emergency boot sitation
(unlike Redhat apparently), and then the kernel provides a simple way
to bypass init.

The password appears to be stored in cleartext in lilo.conf.  Yuck.
lilo should have an epassword= option to set an encrypted password.

> 	I would suggest we modfy liloconfig to ask for, and set, a
>  password, if the user so wishes, but never to require a password with
>  no password provided.

Yes, the password and restricted options should be strongly encouraged
if others have physical access to the machine.

Guy