Re: remote mail access on master

On Mon, 1 Sep 1997, Clint Adams wrote:

> I'm confounded.  Mail is going from lists.debian.org, which is
> debian.novare.net, to schizo@debian.org, which is at debian.novare.net.
> Mail is also going from bugs.debian.org, which is debian.novare.net,
> to schizo@debian.org, which is at debian.novare.net

That's an effect of the surprise move of master.debian.org from
i-connect.net to novare.net .  debian.novare.net was formerly acting as
one of the two lists.debian.org (at a higher priority), but the
i-connect.net machine was handling master.debian.org and debian.org mail.

Now that debian.novare.net is _also_ the master site (until solicitations
for net bandwidth/homes are finalized), it happens to be three and the
same (except that the two lists.debian.org machines still do exist, so
mail could still be going from lists.debian.org, which is
templinux.bucknell.edu, to <someone>@debian.org, which is at
debian.novare.net).

> Then, through whatever method, this mail travels from debian.novare.net
> to me (hopefully).  Please explain to me how forwarding creates less
> of a load or less traffic for novare than POP or IMAP.

It's background bandwidth, as opposed to interactive bandwidth like POP,
IMAP, or telnet.

Pete

--
Peter J. Templin, Jr.                   Client Services Analyst
Computer & Communication Services       tel: (717) 524-1590