Re: iX's Debian Review

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, David Frey wrote:

[...]
> They compared Debian Linux 1.3.1 (from JF Lehmanns),
> DLD Linux Pro 5.2, OpenLinux Standard, Power Linux 2.2 PTS-Linux 1.0,
> Red Hat Linux 4.2, Slackware 3.2, and S.u.S.E Linux 5.0, Unifix Linux 2.0,
> WGS Linux Pro 4.0.
>
> It is rather difficult to translate the article in English, so if you wish
> I try it, but the tone is rather negative: they implicitly complain that we
> don't use RPM as the other distributions (which are more or less Redhat, e.g.
>COL or SUSE), they complain that dselect is non-intiutive (OK, thats a point),
> and the complain that the dependency check didn't work (huh? Is this true?).
> Their overall impression is (quoting, translated to English):
> ``With Debian everything is a bit stranger as with other Linux-systems.
>   Considering the price of nearly 20 DM and the fact that the CD-ROM doesn't
>   have a copyright, you may want to live with it.''
>
> Now this is too much. I didn't expect too good marks from iX, but why do we
> get such a bad PR? Our rating is even more worse than S.u.S.Es!!

I guess that our main problem is dselect. The selection phase and the
dependencies/conflicts/recommends/suggests resolution screens are
confusing and boring a lot of people that try Debian for the first time.
And that's our presentation! Surely when they finish the installation
they are already fed up of Debian. Then they find we don't have a
nice control panel to do their admin stuff and conclude: "Extremely
hard to use. Not recommended for novices." (We have recently had a
distributions war in a spanish mailing list, and I've heard the same
stories about Debian enough times to have horrible nightmares). ;-)

Hopefully, the Deity team will solve the dselect problem soon,
and the new admintool will help our "friendliness" rating.
(Now that we are talking about that... are there any news about those
projects, Deity & admintool? current status or ETA?)

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna