Re: Deity project schedule problems

Sorry to be late to the party ;-)

I throw my 2 cents into this because I have not heard anyone "tell it
right" yet, although I find much to agree with.

First: I agree with Vincent and Manoj that it was my understanding that
the Diety group was composed completely of Debian developers and was, like
the QA and Testing groups, a part of the Debian project.

Second: I disagree with Bruce, that the Diety group was (or even could be)
being held to a schedule. It has always been my feeling that the reason
dselect never got fixed was that the "fix" would take longer than one
release cycle and thus never got done. By seperating the problem away from
dselect and providing the "space" the problem was made managable. Putting
deadline ultimatums before folks who are overloaded at the moment has
pretty predictable results, and they don't seem to be desirable to me.

Details:

I never asked for "source" because I was led to understand that there was
nothing but a spec (which I was encouraged to look at and give feedback)
and that the source would be built once the spec was "OKed". I understood
the need for the "semi-closedness" of the group. As expected, others
don't.

The board went through the same problem. The result was that task that the
board was supposed to do ended up getting done in even more private than
the board. I only bring this up for the parallels between the two, not to
bring up old arguments.

To Brian: I agree with most everything you said (even several of the snide
remarks) but I can't agree that Deity is "outside" Debian. I do agree that
the product that is produced by the Deity group should be considered as
"upstream" although one of the authors may very well become the Debian
maintainer. However, to my knowledge, everyone working on the project is a
Debian Maintainer, or otherwise "connected" to the project and you are the
only one I have heard from who doesn't think Diety is a Debian group.
Please reconsider this possition.

To Bruce: I have gotten clear signals from you in the past that the
hardest part of your job is dealing with the lack of repect that you are
forced to put up with from various individuals. Your behaviour in this
thread is an excelent example of that kind of disrespect. I know I didn't
see the preliminary private communications that "boiled your pot", and I
don't really care much about that, but your first (opening) posting to
this thread was argumentative, agressive, and not very professional. One
of your responsibilities as "our leader" is to present a "good example" to
the rest of the group. If I had to judge from this thread, I would be
forced to give you failing marks.

Waiting is,

Dwarf