Re: quick install method (was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > if deity is not going to be ready for the release of 2.0, then we
> > need a simple perl/sh script wrapper around 'dpkg --set-selections'
> > so we can offer an extremely quick install. maybe it could even use
> > dialog for tick-a-box style installation (i hesitate to suggest this
> > because I *loathe* dialog - but it IS what is used on the install
> > floppies).
>
> > after base installation and reboot, drop the user into a menu
> > offering one of a number of pre-tested dselect selection sets (plus
> > an "expert" option to run dselect).
>
> Exactly!!!! Lets go ahead with it.

ok!

the hardest part, IMO, will be constructing the selection sets. some
sets will be easy (e.g. games) because there's not a lot that can go
wrong with them. others (e.g. development and X workstation) will be
hard.

anyone want to volunteer to come up with a selection set for dev or X
workstation? i'd suggest david e. or galen h. or mark e. as being the
most appropriate/knowledgeable for these sets but they may be overloaded
with other work.

for those who haven't looked at the output of 'dpkg --get-selections', it
looks like this:

    biff                        deinstall
    bin86                       install
    bind                        install
    bing                        deinstall
    binutils                    install
    bison                       install

i don't know if the selection sets will actually need any 'deinstall'
lines - we can assume that the only things selected at start will be
'essential' base packages.  the selection sets can build on that.

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract