Re: quick install method (was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

>i have a suggestion to make:
>
>if deity is not going to be ready for the release of 2.0, then we need
>a simple perl/sh script wrapper around 'dpkg --set-selections' so we
>can offer an extremely quick install. maybe it could even use dialog
>for tick-a-box style installation (i hesitate to suggest this because I
>*loathe* dialog - but it IS what is used on the install floppies).

>after base installation and reboot, drop the user into a menu offering
>one of a number of pre-tested dselect selection sets (plus an "expert"
>option to run dselect).

Exactly!!!! Lets go ahead with it.

One further comment re the distribution:

1. We have the only Installation manager (i.e. software that
allows to control which packages are upgraded and which are not)
in dselect. This needs to be mentioned somewhere and the
complexity/difficulty of handling the product is exactly there
because of the advanced functionality that no other distibution has.

2. There needs to be a menu coming up by default when someone is logging
in as root offering a tutorial, the writing of bug reports and automatic
subscriptions to our mailing lists. Plus some way to print out
documetation.

3. We need a PR department to deal with magazine and testers. We get a
bad rap because we are not reachable and the testers are confused by
the stuff they see rather than appreciate the advanced functionality.