Re: quick install method (was Re: Deity project schedule problems)

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Richard Braakman wrote:
>
> > [...]
>
> the names of the sets should be descriptive so that the novice user has
> a good idea of what s/he is going to get if they choose it.
>
> i want a simple menu where they can say "yeah, i want X and i want to
> compile C programs and i want to play a few games...gimme!".

I like the sound of this, and hope it may be a first step in the
installation later, when Deity is around.  It will be useful for
experienced users as well as novices.

> > > small is good. not everyone has a 2gb drive dedicated to linux. many
> > > newbies are just trying it out for the first time on a smallish
> > > partition. people who want more than the 'bare minimum' can always
> > > use dpkg or dselect to install extra stuff.
> >
> > On the other hand, many people just bought a big disk and just want to
> > install something that works.  We should be able to accommodate both
> > types.
>
> yep.  you can choose one, some, or all of the sets.  you can have base +
> internet stuff + development + X workstation + X dev + ....

No, now I'm afraid I can't agree with you.  I'd prefer two types of set
for each class, so I could choose say:
   Rich set of dev tools;
   Basic set of internet stuff;
   Basic set of games;
   etc.

This shouldn't be too hard, I wouldn't have thought, but gives the user
much more power with little extra confusion.  A 1 or 2 line explanation of
each set would go a long way towards sorting out any remaining confusion.

Cheers,

Nikhil.

--
Nikhil Nair