Re: Deity project schedule problems

bcwhite@verisim.com (Brian White)  wrote on 23.09.97 in <3427D6BF.3A627810@verisim.com>:

> The reason for this is simple.  Debian has a huge amount of bureaucracy.
> With several hundred people all making requests, it becomes unmanageable.
> I will not subject my team to that.  My primary jobs in this project are
> to insulate them from politics and to provide the resources they need.  This
> will help them be as productive as they can be.

Well, this is probably a matter of perception, but really, the only times
when I was reminded of significant bureaucracy was with you. Most of the
rest seemed primarily concerned with solving technical problems, and
deciding where we want to go in the first place.

There _is_ a problem with the number of developers we have, but I'm not
sure insulation is going to help. (And we have this many for good
reasons.)

> I will not adjust my position because Bruce or anybody else wants be to
> with one exception.  I work for the Deity team and will do what they decide
> is the best way for them to accomplish the goals we have set out.  To
> date, that desire has been to have "space" in which to do their job without
> interference.  In other words, feedback is given when it is asked for and
> desireable, not when it has no effect but to add confusion to the pot.
>
> Management should work for the developers, not the other way around.
>
> In the end, the people providing the feedback prefer this too, since that
> way they see their feedback being acted upon instead of ignored (even if it
> is only ignored because it is not applicable at that time).

I've worked that way on another project. I'm now convinced it was a
mistake, and it looks like so do my cow-orkers. And it wasn't my idea,
anyway.

I believe that this sort of insulation hurts.

MfG Kai