Re: Can I interest anyone in RPM?

Hi,
>>"Bruce" == Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org> writes:

Bruce> I don't think Debian is its packaging system. Debian is the
Bruce> open development paradigm, the volunteers, and the committment
Bruce> to free software. What we use to package that software is
Bruce> irrelevant.

	Umm, not quite. Yes, there is more to Debian than the
 packaging method. But the packaging method is a signature item for
 Debian. (Ask yourself what is the first thing you think of when you
 think of apple mac).

	That by itself would be enough to retain dpkg.

	What you are proposing is that we give up a technically better
 solution to ``inclrease our popularity''. I strongly object to that;
 we have agreed in the past that mere popularity is not our goal.

	Making changes for commercial vendors which were in no way
 technically inferior was fine. Giving way to market leaders like Red
 Hat or Microsoft is not. (Which OS/GUI is the market leader? Should
 Debian change to that?)

	manoj
--
 A satirist is a man who discovers unpleasant things about himself and
 then says them about other people.  -- Peter McArthur