Re: Can I interest anyone in RPM?

Bruce Perens wrote:

> The last time I brought this up, perhaps a year ago, it started an
> awful flame-war. This time I'd like all of the developers to seriously
> consider it.

Hey, are you now trying to drum up support for Diety? ;)

> I don't think Debian is its packaging system. Debian is the open
> development
> paradigm, the volunteers, and the committment to free software. What
> we use
> to package that software is irrelevant.

Until reciently the BOD has done a great job of keeping things on
focus.  Like tag team wrestling, there's usually one cool fresh head
ready to come in from the sideline and get real work done.

"Nobody can make a car better than Ford" didn't seem to affect Walter
Chrysler.  Maybe if you cleared up your vision for where you'd like to
see Debian _go_ instead of _not_go_, we could better understand you.
Are you suggesting that we just run around and package anything but let
RH tell us how to do it?

Eventually, other projects will base themselves on the Debian
distribution, if personalities can stay calm.  (The router project comes
to mind.  Weren't there others?)

Just because Diety is a slippery fish doesn't mean it won't be tasty.  I
hope that we get ours out before or soon after they do.  In fact,
viewing the specs should make RH and others a little nervous, if not
move them to action.

Didn't Debian develop the first upgradeable system?  What other
inventions would be stiffled if we were just a colleciton of
'maintainers?'

Thanx -- Greg.
--
What do you want to spend today?
Debian GNU/Linux  (Free for an UNLIMITED time)