Re: Can I interest anyone in RPM?

> > > switiching to rpm is 90% marketing and 10% new features
> > Well, I thought, Debian was about making good software not good marketing?
> that is true. but we should at least try to do both.

I don't know - why make any compromise towards marketing? I don't see much
point in that.

> we will never be able to get redhat and all other distributions to use
> dpkg. but we might get them to use a new version of rpm, that is fully
> compatible with old versions, has also a deb compatibility mode, and
> supports debian style of creating packages. this version should also fix
> some bugs and introduce new features (like international language
> support) needed by many other distributions.

If this is so bloody needed, why change dpkg to be rpm compatible
instead of trying to get it even better?

> no. i don't think so.caldera doesn't use redhat, you know ?
> (their distribution is rpm based, but not redhat).
> IMO building a distribution takes more and more work. and i think that
> someday companies will consider switiching to be a value added
> distribution, and let others do the work. i want to make debian the base
> distribution for this choice.

So, why switch? Switching to rpm to achieve that is *pure* marketing. Let
me put it this way - Debian has its potential to become the base
distribution of choice, since:

  - it's technically the most advanced (except for the missing GUI for
    installation)

  - due to a large number of package maintainers, it should be easier for
    Debian to put out a new distribution, than for any commercial
    enterprise - i.e. if each distribution becomes more and more work
    it'll especially become harder for RedHat/SUSE/... as they certainly
    don't have ~200 maintainers working on the whole thing.

  - Debian already offers so much choice for the user, that many other
    distributions don't (just look at the number of web browsers, login
    shells, window managers, etc...). All the other distributions limit
    these choices by making their own choices instead of allowing the
    user to make his own.

Now tell me, *WHY* change, *except* for marketing reasons? It just doesn't
make any sense.

  Benedikt

signoff

          Hiroshima '45           Chernobyl '86           Windows '95