Please note samba

just thought I'd send this in case no one has mentioned it.
debian seems to be running 1.9.16

The Samba Team announce Samba 1.9.17p2.

Security fix release: Samba - version 1.9.17p2.

This new stable release fixes a very important security hole in all
versions of Samba.

The security hole allows a remote user to obtain root access on the
Samba server. A program which exploits this bug has been posted to the
internet.

The security hole is only known to affect Samba servers running on
Intel based hardware, and has only been demonstrated for Intel
Linux. It is likley that exploits for other architectures would be
very difficult but the possibility cannot be excluded completely.

This patch fixes the security hole for all platforms.

This patch also adds a routine which will log a message when a user
attempts to take advantage of the security hole.

A number of other minor bugs have also been fixed in this release.

This new release may be obtained from the following
ftp://samba.anu.edu.au/pub/samba/samba-1.9.17p2.tar.gz

as a GNU gzip compressed tar file. Thanks to SGI for
providing the samba.anu.edu.au Web server hardware.

RedHat rpm packaged files will be built by the Samba
team, a further announcement will be provided shortly
describing their availability.

The samba web pages are found at :

http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba

As usual, please report any bugs with this release to

samba-bugs@samba.anu.edu.au

Regards,

	The Samba Team.