Titles, without the mathematics.

Subject: Titles without the mathematics

   Debians, join my request and consider this excellent answer to
the structure of titles for our organization. This will help with
the procurement of grants; and as everyone will see, the present
organizational structure remains the same. Furthermore, it will
convey honors and benefits to few members who have amply
contributed to this organization. Thank you.

   What we have learned in the past of the phantom officers, I may say,
is quite true; they endure great toils to be elected to high offices
and once they are there they fly away. But that they are ungrateful we
wholly deny, for their contribution as a whole always exceeded that of most
of us, and we in turn ought to reciprocate, in benefits and not with
disapproval.

   We will reciprocate them in titles, which is all we have; and how
ready I am to praise them you will soon find out when you
read my request which allows the best to rise to the powerful position
of The Director and the lesser to benefit from their long
of contributions. I expect that you will answer well.

  Listen, then; I proclaim that a new layer with polished titles
be placed on top of what we now have, at the highest levels, and that
they be dully ornamental is most crucial. And now, why don't you
praise me? But of course you won't. Leave all ideologies aside, relax,
and reflect some more. After a brief description, we will proceed in an
inquiry and enumerate all the benefits that flow from it. We will count
the advantages of having more titles, we will number the goods which
I advocate, and in the end we shall judge the merits of this proposal
by the measuring the derived benefits.

-----------

  |    Upto 5 Chiefs on two-year terms        |         Level 1
  |___________________________________________|

              ___________________
             |                   |
   __________|___________________|____________
  |   Director's  appointees and officers     |         Level 3
  |___________________________________________|

   The Debian organizational structure at its highest layer, level 1, has
five chiefs with no real power, they are merely lending their good name
to the organization (this helps with grants). In this class, we will also
include present members of this organization - whether elected or appointed
is not of great importance right now.

   The other two layers correspond to what we have at present:
* At levels 2 is THE Director ( harboring in himself the greatest of evils :)
* At level 3 are all the officers whose title descriptions are left to the
discretion of THE Director.

Benefits
--------

 These concerns are to our profit and interest:

 1. carefully placed names on level 1 will help with the procurement of
grants. This same tactic I observed in other organizations.

 2. Some carefully selected members, the winners of such honoraries, will be
able to account for managerial experience to their future employers.

 3. No longer will such members have to experience the toils of running a
(possibly fateful) campaign for The Director's office. We will assure them
a space at the very top, and they in turn will enjoy it our payment
for their years of service. It is to everyone's advantage.

 4. No more will the office of the Director will be the sole throne to
concure. Good men and women will be compelled to this serve in
the position of The Director, not because they would, but because they
cannot help; not under the idea that they are going to have any enjoyment
themselves, but because of necessity, if they do not wish to suffer being
governed under others whom they think as less able. For there is a good
reason to think that an organization that is composed entirely of
honorable men to avoid office would be as much an object of contention
as to obtain office is at present.

Conclusion:

  No one has ever adequately described either in verse or prose the
true advantages of the titles in the form of a comprehensive proposal.
I dare say that I hope if upon reflection you approve of them.

--
Ioannis Tambouras
ioannis@flinet.com, West Palm Beach, Florida