Re: Should we have a debian-fhs list?

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Scott Ellis wrote:

> Since the FHS has been formally released, and there are many issues about
> compliance, I suggest that a list be created to keep what will probably be
> a high-bandwidth discussion out of debian-devel.  I know that there are
> several changes that need coordinated among several developers (moving to
> /var/mail for one), that debian-devel at large may not be interested in.

No, I don't think we should create a new mailing list for that. The
discussion should be done on debian-policy.

However, the people on debian-policy all seem to agree that we do _not_
implement the FHS for Debian 2.0 as this will surely delay the release
further.

The FHS will be implemented for Debian 2.1 with a few exceptions. The
exceptions (e.g. we won't move /var/lib/dpkg) and other details of the
migration process will be discussed on debian-policy until then.

I'll send an announcement to debian-devel-announce soon to say that Debian
2.0 (hamm) will still use FSSTND.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com